Analysis activities aimed at the assessment and reduction of risk (Risk Assessment and Risk Reduction) of machinery are carried out in accordance with the requirements of ISO 12100-1, ISO 12100-2 / ISO 12100: 2010 and ISO 14121.
The purpose of the analysis is to define the specification of the machine safety requirements. One of the main safety requirements that must be defined is the probability of a dangerous failure, ie the SIL to be taken for the machine that you are designing.
The analyzes include the following activities:
- Risk analysis:
- determination of the limits of the machine;
- hazard identification in all the phases of the life cycle of the machine;
- risk assessment.
- Weighting of risks carried out according to the following phases:
- risk reduction in the design;
- arrangement of protection measures;
- information on residual risks.
- Safety requirements:
- identification of intrinsically safe design measures;
- Definition of safeguards and of additional safety measures.